3.6.1917 LIEVIN SECTOR: 2/Lt LN JOHNSON MC killed in action whilst on working party (M.30.C.9.5).
1/6th Battalion War Diary [WO/95/2694]
2nd Lieut. LN Johnson’s death occurred on the 3rd June while in charge of a working party in the Bois de Raiumont, when an advanced trench was being dug for the assembly position of the 138th Infantry Brigade, who attacked from there a few days later.
Johnson was one of the Battalion’s most popular officers……and his grave is in the little cemetery between Fosse 10 and Sains-en-Gohelle, where rest the bodies of a good many of the Battalion’s Rank and file.
1/6th Battalion Regimantal History
Casualties from the 3rd June 1917
Alban Offord from Retford died aged 21
- 1658/240201 Sergt William Booth aged 26.
- 4398/241494 Pte Harry Cooper aged 47.
- 5122/241864 Pte Harry Fuller aged 24.
- 7751/242541 Pte William Howitt-Walker.
- 2540/242605 Pte Walter Moxon aged 28.
- 1868/242606 Pte Alban Offord aged 21.
- Lieut Leslie Nethercote Johnson aged 29.
The men were buried in either Fosse No.10 Communal Cemetery Extension in Sains-en-Gohelle, which was the site of the North Midland Field Ambulance, or in Noeux-Les-Mines Communal Cemetery by the 7th Casualty Clearing Station.
Fosse No.10 Communal Cemetery Extension
Noeux-Les-Mines Communal Cemetery
Other men wounded on this day
- 3665/241163 Pte ARTHUR BUXTON
- 2204/240467 Pte FRED HURLER
- 2563/240639 Pte ERNEST MATTHEWS
- 2277/240501 Pte FRANK DRABBLE
- 2867/240771 Pte ALBERT BAGSHAW
- 2609/240660 Pte ARTHUR COLLIER
- 3890/241264 Pte WALTER BLAIR
- 4215/241401 Pte WILLIAM SIMMONS
- 4190/241390 Pte JOHN HENRY CRYAN
- 4399/241495 Pte JAMES BLAKEMORE
- 3400/241053 Pte HERBERT STEEPLES
- 3302/242408 Pte ERNEST BRAZIER
- 7731/242521 Pte ARTHUR AUGUSTUS DEACON
- 7721/242511 Pte ARCHIBOLD BRANSON
- 4559/241568 Pte PERCY HARMER
- 5183/241874 Pte HERBERT TAYLOR
- 5809/242627 Pte RICHARD WEBB
- 2493/240602 Pte FRED MOORCROFT
- 4075/241346 Pte JIM RAMSKILL