The 2/6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment)… new project

Over the last few years I have concentrated on telling the story (the best that I can) of the men that served with the 1/6th Battalion.

In the process I have somewhat neglected the men that served with the 2/6th Battalion, and of course their story is just as important.

Fortunately, over the years I have collected post cards and other ephemera that are related to the 2/6th – the ‘Green Triangle’ – so I have now decided that the time is right to tell their story; either on-line or by print.

Interestingly, the 2/6th Battalion were engaged in a limited number of historically important actions; these being:-

  • The 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin
  • The German retreat to the Hindenburg Line on 27th April 1917
  • The Battle of Passchendale on 26th-29th September 1917
  • The Battle of Cambria on the 1st-2nd December 1917
  • The ‘Kaiserchlacht’ Spring offensive on 21st March 1918
  • The defence of Kemmel on 14th-18th April 1918

In those later five engagements the 2/6th suffered horrendous casualties and the Battalion was reinforced on many occasions; however, in the end the ‘2/6th’ were reduced to Cadre on the 7th May 1918.

The 2/6th Sherwood Foresters at Buxton in 1914

The reunion of the 2/6th Sherwood Foresters at Bakewell in 1935

6 thoughts on “The 2/6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment)… new project

  1. Andrew Wood

    Hi Mike I will be very interested in this as my grandfather Frederick William Wood was in the 2/6th Sherwoods.


  2. David

    Surely 141 men of the original complement were KIA out of an estimated original strength of 800 so 18% were killed leaving 82 % as survivors not 17%?

  3. David

    On the table of the numbers of 2/6th Battalion men KIA from the original renumbered contingent you mention 33 + 45 + 17 +38 + 8 = 141 KIA in the various actions.
    The Battalion strength of about 800 men allowing for non combatants gives a percentage killed or missing of 141 /800 = approx 18%
    Maybe I have misread your table

    1. mikebriggs1910 Post author

      Morning David
      I see what you mean know and you are quite right that 141 men of the original contingent were killed. What I was trying to do with the table was show that was a decreasing proportion of ‘original’ men as time went by, but the table was a bit misleading, so I have now revised it. Many thanks for pointing this out, cheers mike


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s