1.3.1917 FOSSEUX: Battalion marched to HALLOY (HQ at GRENAS).
2.3.1917 HALLOY: Battalion marched to SOUSTRE and billeted in huts.
3.3.1917 SOUSTRE: Moved into billets vacated by 4th Leicester’s.
1/6th Battalion War Diary [WO/95/2694]
1st: Bde HQ Pommera
- 5th SF move from Halloy to St Amand
- 6th SF move from Fosseux to Halloy
- 8th SF move from Grenas to Soustre
2nd: Bde HQs move from Pommera to Gaudiempre
- 5th SF from St Amand to Fonquevillers under 138th Infantry Brigade
- 6th SF from Halloy to Soustre
- 7th SF from Pommera to Souastre
3rd: 139th relieve 138th Infantry Brigade in the line
- 5th SF on the right K.6.C.3.2. RADFAHRER GRABEN
- 8th SF in the centre RADFAHRER GRABEN E.28.b.7.5.
- 7th SF on the left in HANNESCAMPS sub sector
- 6th SF in FONQUEVILLERS
139 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters War Diary [WO95/2692]
200520 Lance Corporal Ernest William Edwards of “C” Company 1/5th Battalion was killed in action aged 21 and buried in Fonquevillers. Son of Arthur Jesse and Emma Edwards of Butterley Park in Derby. At the time of his death “C” Company were attached to the 138th Brigade and were providing carrying parties for 1/5th Leicester’s.
203414 Pte Isaac Ernest Keeling of 1/5th Battalion died of multiple shrapnel wounds (Nottingham Post Notice) in the casualty clearing station at Warlincourt. The eldest son of Isaac and Charlotte Keeling of 21 Ayr St., Forest Rd., in Nottingham.