On the 27th of September 1916 whilst in Brigade reserve all the ‘long rifles’ were withdrawn and replaced with ‘short rifles’ (SMLEs).
Whilst undergoing training in Harpenden the Battalion had been equipped with re-sighted charger loading rifles. This was a Lee-Enfield conversion that had been adopted by the British Army in 1907 and replaced the ageing ‘Lee-Enfield’ Magazine Rifle Mk 1, which had been developed in 1897. The charger-loading rifle also had new front and rear sights fitted, which were adjustable for windage.
Sergeant Rhymes of the 1/8th Battalion at Abermaid Camp with a ‘Long Lee Enfield’ 1912.